Target Audience: Advanced User, IT Manager
Article #: 11402
In certain circumstances, users report receiving error messages during software installation.
In once case, the system generates an error message stating ‘Error 1320. Specified path is too long‘. The message is followed by a file path. However, upon inspecting the file path, it is clearly not “too long”.
Or, error message ‘Unable to write to the file‘ appears followed by the file name. After verifying that all of the permissions and settings are correct for the file to be written, it appears that the error message is itself an error.
Either of these messages occur when a user is trying to install CODESOFT 2018. The error message file path in the error message is C:\Programdata\Documents\TKI. But, initial inspection of C:\Programdata shows that Documents folder does not exist.
In reality, Documents is located in C:\Programdata. It is a part of the Operating System so you will need to enable the option that allows you to See All Hidden which includes the system files and folder.
Documents is a shortcut. However, attempting to open it resulted in a permission error. Viewing Properties of Documents also does not provide into the location linked to by the shortcut.
Please note that another shortcut, Application Data, located in C:\Programdata may also have the same issues as with Documents.
It is our best determination that the shortcuts have become corrupted.
In our opinion, the best way to resolve this situation is to reload the operating system.
This may seem to be a draconian solution, but if the system in mission-critical or part of a validated system, it may be your only option.
Before making any decision, you can test see whether they are corrupted:
- Ensure you are logged onto your computer with full administrative rights.
- Set the settings to see all hidden and system files and folders. This is done via My Computer | Organize | Folders and Search.
- Go to the C:\ProgramData folder. In there you should see a Documents shortcut and an Application Data shortcut.
- Make a new folder in C:\ProgramData\ called Temp and move the Documents and Application Data shortcuts both into this new Temp folder.
- Create a new folder in C:\ProgramData\ called Documents (ensure it has a capital D and the rest in lower case).
- Re-attempt the software installation that was interrupted by the error messages.
- If the software installed successfully, you probably have corrupted Documents and/or Application Data shortcuts.
Issue Found: TEKLYNX CENTRTAL 5.0, CODESOFT 2018