Target Audience: Advanced User, IT Manager
Article #: 12076
In order for TEKLYNX CENTRAL to be able to process workorders on an external database, the database – or table – needs to have a unique ID (UID). Also known as a Record ID, if it is missing TEKLYNX CENTRAL won’t be able to pull the needed data. Users with an existing database that doesn’t have a Job Number or other UID column have two choices:
A. Create a new column and manually enter Job Numbers, or;
B. Create a virtual UID or Record ID
This article will walk you through the steps needed to accomplish option B. If your database already has a Job Order column or other UID field, you will not need to do any of this.
- Note the server name where the database containing the Workorder-Product table is saved
- Have valid credentials to log into the database
- Connect to the database using Microsoft SQL Management Studio
- In Object Explorer, expand the target database
- Enter an SQL Statement similar to that shown below. Substitute the appropriate column names as they appear in your table.
- Highlight the SQL statement, then right-click and select Execute SQL.
- Right-click on the tab name and select Save [DATABASE NAME] – dbo.[DEFAULT VIEW NAME].
- Enter the View Name and press OK.
- Right-click on the new view and choose Select Top 1000 Rows to verify that the table looks correct.
If it looks ok, then you have successfully created a Record ID.
Tested Using Microsoft SQL Management Studio 18
If you need further assistance, please contact us.