Target Audience: Advanced User, IT Manager
Article #: 12063
The External Database feature in TEKLYNX CENTRAL allows users to access workorder and product information from a database located outside of TEKLYNX CENTRAL. Companies commonly use this capability to simplify the label printing process. The external database is already automatically and dynamically updated by the company’s own internal systems. Connecting TEKLYNX CENTRAL to the appropriate tables reduces potential human error and speeds up the printing process. This article will guide you through the steps of configuring the external database feature.
- Verify with EBI that your license supports this feature. It is not supported by default.
- Your database should have three tables, each with a UID (Universal ID) field:
If your tables do not have a UID field, you can build a new one or set up a virtual UID.
- Create a data source with CODESOFT that allows TEKLYNX CENTRAL to connect to your external database.
- Check-in the sample labels into LABEL ARCHIVE as an Approved label in CODESOFT’s “root” file location. TEKLYNX CENTRAL’s External Database feature cannot read labels in subfolders.
- The Work Order feature will need to be enabled in the General Options tab in TCADMIN.
- Log into the TEKLYNX Configure Web Printer Interface via the Command Center.
- Select the “Use external database” option in the Display options & external database tab.
- Link to your target external database using the pull-down. Press the Test button, and if the link is successful, click Save at the bottom of the screen.
- Connect to the Product-Labels table by first selecting Labels in the Data Configuration tab.
- Next, define the Table Query Parameters
- Then, for each label, select the “Define Label Data” button to set the label variable behavior for such things as Default Value, Prompt, Input Mask, etc.
- Connect to the Workorder table by selecting Workorders in the Data Configuration tab.
- Then, define the Table Query Parameters.
- Connect to the Workorder-Products table by selecting Products in the Data Configuration tab.
- Next, define the Table Query Parameters.
- Finally, verify that you were successful in configuring the external database feature using the Printing Interface (BBUI).
Tested Using TEKLYNX v5.1
If you need further assistance, please contact us.