Target Audience: IT Manager
Article #: 8533
TEKLYNX CENTRAL was running normally prior to installing the latest update or patch. However, the application fails after the patch or update was installed. This problem was observed on Windows Server 2012 R2.
Situation and Symptoms
- A newly installed Windows Server 2012 R2
- TEKLYNX CENTRAL 5.0 R2 installed
- Applied an “after release” patch using file copying method which replaced existing files with newer ones.
- After restarting the server, some of the services failed to start
The error messages produced by the system in Windows Event Viewer are too general to assist in troubleshooting the problem. There are many possible causes for a service failing to start. In this situation, the problem is related to file permissions. Although all of the updates were performed using a login account with Administrative permission, the permission problems still occur. This is actually security feature within Window servers.
- Check the properties of all the files that were replaced.
- Click the Unblock button if it is enabled (not grayed out).
- The button should then be disabled.
- Click OK.
- Repeat this process for each file that was replaced during the patch.
- In case you have a lot of files, you can use this PowerShell command to set all the files in a folder (including sub-folders):
Get-ChildItem -Path <path to the folder> -Recurse | Unblock-File