This article can be use to bring BACKTRACK back to life after a failed database operation – ie. restore. After such failed operations, BACKTRACK database may become corrupted and the program is unable to run.
- Locate the installation program package for BACKTRACK (BT) 2012. It should be in a compressed format.
- Extract the software into a regular folder.
- Inside the extracted folder, there should be a zip file called BT2102_SQL_DB_CREATE. Extract all the files into a separate folder. Inside this folder there should be another folder called 20873_bis.
- Copy the 20783_bis to a convenient location and set the security setting for this folder to be Full Control by Everyone.
- Make a backup copy of 20783_bis folder. You need to do this if you expect to run this procedure multiple times.
- Modify the properties of RegisterDatabases.bat shortcut to include:
- Target: To include the SQL instance, login ID and password for the SQL Server. For example:
- C:\Users\public\Desktop\20873\RegisterDatabases.bat sqlexpress sa password!
- Sqlexpress – the instance of SQL that holds the BT database
- sa – login ID to SQL
- password! – password for sa
- Start in: To be the location where the 20783_bis folder is located
- Clean up old databases
- Open up SQL Server Management Studio and connected to the SQL server that stores the database for BT
- Expand the Databases folder.
- Delete all databases that belong to BT. They generally start with a 3 letters (all CAPS) and a 4 digit-number. Please be very careful not to delete any non-BT databases.
- Delete String database
- Delete AppTmpls database
- Delete Common database
- At this point, you should only have System Databases remains
- Rebuild new dataset
- In the 20783_bis folder, double-click the RegisterDatabase.bat shortcut.
- If you receive an error, check the ReaditFirst text file in the folder
- Note: After a successful run, the 4 folders inside 20783_bis (AppTmpls, Common, Strings and WXVG0003) will be empty. If you need to rerun this procedure again, you can copy the 4 folders from the backup you made earlier.
Instructions Written Using:
Application: BACKTRACK v2012