This article explains potential causes for BarTender license server problems and details how to resolve these issues.
- Open Bartender
- Error message appears indicating:
- BarTender will function for 1-3 days (depending on how long it has been disconnected from the license server) or
- BarTender will not print or export printer code (if disconnected more than 3 days)
BarTender License Connection Error Message (Final)
When a network client of BarTender is opened, it looks to the server location identified in the License Setup screen (found under the main menu bar under “Administer”). If the BarTender client application it is unable to contact the license server, it will signal an error to the user. If the BarTender has previous been connected to a valid license server, it gives the user a courtesy of 3 days to connect to the license server before going into disabled mode.
Potential reasons for the BarTender client not contacting the license server include:
- The license server is not installed
- The license service is not running
- Firewall is blocking the connection to the license server
Resolving the problem depends on the reason listed above. These include:
- Verify the license server is installed on the server location by running the “License Server” application that can be found in All Programs > BarTender XX.X > License Server. If the application is not there, the license server is not installed.
- Verify the license service is running. Run the License Server application (All Programs > BarTender XX.X > License Server) and check to make sure the ‘play button’ (triangle in the upper left-hand corner of the screen) is greyed out. Also look for warning messages in the Printers or Users tabs at the bottom of the screen.
- Unblock or change the port. If a firewall is blocking the port, you can either unblock the port or use the Licensing Setup screen to change the port location used by the License Server.
Once resolved, BarTender will indicate that it has successfully connected to the license server.
Message Indicating the Connection to the License Server is Reestablished
- BarTender Instruction Article: KBA-01133-N9N6G0 – Connecting to a Network License Server from an Existing BarTender Client (Running in Demo Mode or Licensed as a Single User)
- Windows Instruction Article: KBA-01080-K6T5J8 – Determining if Windows Firewall Is Active