This Instruction Article explains how to install SQL Express Server.
Estimated Time Required
SQL Download – 30 min to 2 hour depending on bandwidth
SQL Express Install – 30 min to 1 hour depending on PC processor speed and RAM
Total: 1 hour to 3 hours
- Check for Local Administrative Rights with credentials used/given (see Article KBA-01077-N4L7M9)
- Download of the latest SQL Express 2012
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed (dotnetfx35setup.exe see link to download)
- Confirm recommended resources allocated:
- 1 GB or more RAM
- 6 GB or more disk space
- 800 x 600 or higher screen resolution
- Check compatible operating systems: Windows Server 2012, Server 2012 R2, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Vista.
- Add .NET Framework 3.5.1 using the Role Management (Application Server).
- Run Windows Updates
- Run (as administrator) installer file (e.g. SLEXPADV_64_ENU).
- Select “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add feature to an existing installation” option.
- Read and accept the EULA.
- Accept the default features (Database Engine Services and Management Tools are the most critical) and default directory.
- Name the SQL Instance (16 digits w/no dashes, name should indicate SQL version and software that will use it e.g. BARTSQL2012)
- Make sure SQL Browser Service is selected for “Automatic” start-up and accept defaults on the other Services Accounts screen.
- Select Authentication Mode (recommended Mixed Mode using Efficient! as the default password) and add any administrators (local administrator recommended)
- Allow default for Reporting Service Native Mode screen
- Allow default for Error Reporting screen
To make the SQL Express instance visible to other computers on the network, the SQL Browser Service needs to be started. Named Pipes needs to be Enabled (Protocols for SQL instance)
Run SQL Management Studio, attempt to connect to the database using the ‘sa’ account credential
Have the following files available:
- Correct version of SQL Express files available (SQL Express 2012 with Advanced Tools)
- Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
Outside Sources and Helpful Links
- SQL Express Hardware and Software Requirements: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx
- .NET 3.5 SP1 Requirements and Download: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=22