This Error Message Article explains the LABEL MATRIX error message “Data source name not found and no default driver specified…” and details how to fix the underlying problem that caused it to appear.
This error was caused by Microsoft Windows update. The Windows update appears to have scrambled the drivers used TEKLYNX software for database connections.
There are three know approaches:
- Remove the Windows update
- Reinstall the database drivers and switch Excel file to .xlsx extension
- Rerun the database setup with ‘reanalyze’ feature (LABEL MATRIX only)
Remove the Windows update that causes the problem. Find the update id for your Windows system in the list below and remove it.
- Windows 10 1703: KB4041676
- Windows 10 1607 and Windows Server 2016: KB4041691
- Windows 10 1507: KB4042895
- Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: KB4041693
- Windows Server 2012: KB4041690
- Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: KB4041681 and KB4041678
To remove the update, do the following:
- Open Control Panel.
- Navigate to Programs and Features>Installed Updates.
- Find the update with the KB number in its description.
- Click Uninstall.
- Find the Excel file that is being connected to, save it as a .xlsx file (Excel Workbook)
*If the location of the database file is not known, it can be found through Tools > Administrator OLEDB, then click on the name of the connection. It will show a file path.
- Take note of the name of the connection (through Admin OLEDB) and then delete the connection.
- Install the ACE 12.0 drivers. follow this support article for installing the ACE Driver.
- Follow the steps on the page, click Download, IN MOST CASES you will want the one that says “AccessDatabaseEngine.exe” and not the “AccessdatabaseEngine_x64.exe”.
- Recreate the database connection using the wizard
–Data Sources > Database > Create/edit query
-“New” > ”Wizard..”
-Select Excel, and put THE SAME NAME AS BEFORE under “Name”. Description is optional
-Select next, and browse to the .xlsx file created earlier.
-Select “Test Connection”. If all steps were followed, it should display connection succeeded.
- Then select the database as normal, by selecting the name just created from the “Data Source Name” drop-down.
Solution 3 (LABEL MATRIX Users Only):
- Find the Excel document being used in LABEL MATRIX and open the document in Excel Save As .xlsx (Excel Workbook)
- Open LABEL MATRIX and any/all labels using the Excel document and click File, Label Properties
- Locate the Database tab and highlight the connection listed and click Reanalyze.
- Use the Normal Setup and click Next. Now the path to the Excel document should be shown along with the worksheet name.xls. Click the File button and navigate to the new Excel document saved as the .XLSX extension.
- Click Next and verify all the information for the table is correct and continue to click next until finished.